Monday 1 October 2007

Why Blog Cross-Centredly? Part 1

Perhaps looking at the title of this site you are a wondering why anyone would want to focus an entire blog around one subject. Talk about stifiling creativity! Fair enough for a person to find Jesus' death on the cross interesting, even life changing. But why on earth should it be the centre of everything? Why do I want to blog cross-centerdly?

Over the coming days I hope to go some way to explain my motivation for doing so, and I hope, if you are a blogger, you will join me in deciding to blog cross centerdly.

Reason 1: I love the cross!
My first reason is very simple. I love the cross!

If you are a music fan and you decide to devote your whole blog to one band, you must think they are the greatest band to have ever have walked this earth. You create an "Elvis-centred blog" or "Switchfoot-centred blog" or (God forbid) a "Spice Girls-centred blog" and review all other music in comparison to that band. You love their music, their lyrics, even their character and you feel every other band must been seen in the light of their glory.

It is the same with the cross for me. I absolutely adore it. The greatest part of Christianity is not the Church, not Calvinism, not Puritan literature (though I love all these things) but the cross! All other things need to be seen in it's light.

When I say I love the cross I don't mean I sit up at night thinking about two pieces of wood nailed together to be used as a brutal form of punishment. I mean I love the work that was done on the cross by Jesus Christ. It perfectly shows who God is, and when I look at it I see the great love of God.

This morning I was reawakened to the amazing truth of Romans 5:8 "...God shows his love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us." (ESV). Have you considered how amazing that is? Most of your human friends' love would grow colder if you did something wrong towards them. But whilst we were still sinners, his enemies, Christ died on a cross for us!

That is incredible! There is no love like that to be found on this earth! Jesus death on the cross is beyond anything we can imagine in this world. This is why I want to blog about the cross, because it is so amazing. It brought me life when I was dead, love when I hated, God when I was godless. The cross is the most amazing thing to me and thus I will blog always in the light of this most glorious truth.

Many Christian sites are blogged by people as reformed" or puritan-readers or complimentarians or something else. These are all well and good. But they are secondary things.

I want to blog as someone saved and completely amazed by what Jesus did on the cross. That is the first reason why I want this site to be a place of cross-centred blogging.

Yours in Christ
Tim



This blog is the first part of a series of blogs entitled "Why Blog Cross-Centredly?". Keep an eye on this blog for the next answer to this question "Part 2: Denying Myself".

No comments: